Funding For a Funeral
If you intend to claim funeral expenses from the DWP, please inform us as soon as possible, we will help and advise you in every way possible.
If you are on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral that you are arranging, you may be able to get a funeral payment from the Social Fund. You may have to repay some or all of it from the estate of the person who has died.
TO BE ABLE TO GET A FUNERAL PAYMENT, YOU MUST EITHER;
- Be the partner of the deceased at the time of death
- Be the parent of the deceased child, or have responsibility for the deceased child and there is no absent parent (unless they are receiving a qualifying benefit or were estranged from the child at the date of death)
- Be the parent of a still born child
- A close relative or close friend of the deceased (and is reasonable for you to accept responsibility for the funeral costs)
- In order to make a claim you will need to complete form SF200. We will provide the form and help all we can.
DWP claims are no longer dealt with locally to Sunderland, they are now dealt with by a specialised team in Balham, London and may take a little longer to be processed. See www.gov.uk/dwp for a full up to date copy of the guidelines.